In 1879, the United States Government gave 621 acres of land to the Northern Pacific Railroad, and part of this became Ypsilanti Township and the unincorporated townsite known as Ypsilanti, North Dakota. Ypsilanti is in Stutsman County.
Ypsilanti Township was organized on March 17, 1908 by people in the community, chiefly for the purpose of building and maintaining roads. At that time, they bought their own equipment and used horses for power until 1920.
The township board transacted all the governing business, including the town of Ypsilanti, and the townsite is still governed by the township board, as Ypsilanti has never been incorporated.
In 1909, the township was divided into four districts for the purpose of building and maintaining roads.
Those appointed as overseers were:
- District 1: Helge Ronning
- District 2: N.G. Mellum
- District 3: C.M. Christopherson
- District 4: John Holstad
Three places were established for legal notice. They were Spaulding's Store, Lien's Schoolhouse, and a post on the southeast corner of Section 8.
The first township board members were: Fred Nicholls, Peter Gomsrud, James Berge, Clerk, Nels T. Lien, Treasurer, A.W. Broughton, Assessor, C.R. Massey, Justice of the Peace, N.G. Mellum, Constable, Marvin Johnson, Overseer of Highways, A.W. Broughton.
Those who served on the board for twenty or more years were: Clerk, James Crouch, Supervisor, Leo Nicholls, Treasurer, Inez Madden, Elmer Mellum.
A portion of the townsite of Ypsilanti is located in Corwin Township.
Corwin Township was organized as a township on March 30, 1909 by a group of concerned citizens, including H.V. Nichols, Lewis Cumber, George Robinson, R.R. Wright, S.O. Allen, Amos Jacobson, M.O. Ruud, C. Gibson, P.A. Hogden, Joseph Docktor, L.C. Anderson, Fred Hendrickson, Albert Rosendahl, and August Ghrenonuer, according to early records.
The purpose of organizing the township was to lay out township roads and bridges, to elect supervisors, a clerk, treasurer, assessor, justice of the peace, constable, and highway overseer.