The Farmers Elevator of Ypsilanti, North Dakota was built around 1905. Mr. A.R. Thompson was the manager for two years, after which he retired due to ill health.
Some of its board members were Steve Allen, Alfred Schollander, Steve Corwin, Fred Nicholls Sr., and Nels Lien Sr.
In 1907, Clinton Gibson came from South Dakota and accepted the job vacated by Mr. Thompson.
Besides the buying and selling of grain, the Farmers Elevator was engaged in selling both hard-soft and lignite coal. The coal was kept in a coal shed south of the elevator. On the north was a huge wood pile, which attracted the neighborhood children, who loved to play there and peel the bark from the wood to make toy canoes and picture frames. Many times, Mr. Gibson came out and sent them home, telling them he was afraid they would be hurt, but they would return.
In May of 1909, a cyclone came through Ypsilanti during the day. There were three farmers, with their teams and wagons, at the time. They took refuge in the elevator. After the storm had passed, the roof and south driveway were gone.
An addition to the south side of the elevator was added in later years.
In 1928, Mr. Gibson purchased the business and changed its name to the Gibson Elevator. In 1937, he sold it to the Ypsilanti Equity Elevator. In the early 1980s, it was known as the South Elevator.