Ypsilanti Post Office
The first post office in Ypsilanti, North Dakota was in the Theodore Doughty home, a half mile north of Ypsilanti. This was also the Ypsilanti stage coach stop.
William Colby established the post office in Ypsilanti in 1882, where a stage line continued until 1885, when the railroad began carrying mail from Jamestown to LaMoure.
At some point, the post office was moved to the Spaulding Store.
It was in the Ferguson Store from 1921 to 1953.
In June of 1953, an addition was built onto the Heffernan house, and the Ypsilanti post office was moved there until September 1, 1967.
In 1970, it was moved again, this time to its own building.
After the railroad was established, and mail began to come by rail, it has to be picked up at the depot and delivered to the post office, and vice versa, twice a day. The postmaster was paid $15 a month for the two trips per day.
The postmasters who served from 1882 to 1982, and the dates they served, are as follows:
- William Colby (1882-1916)
- H.V. Nichols (1916-1941)
- Lee Ferguson (1941-1942)
- Hattie Heffernan (1942-1967)
- Marliss Headland (1967-1969)
- Leonard Spilde (1969-1982) (Mary Jane Groskruetz served as assistant postmaster)
Rural mail carriers in the Ypsilanti, North Dakota area were:
- C.W. Chapman (1918-?)
- Jack Smedley (?)
- S.B. Nicholls (1922-1949)
- R.B. Kotts (1929-1964)
- Floyd Orr (1949-1951)
- Gene H. Nicholls (1951-1982)
In addition, Harvey Kipp, Carl Erickson, and Harold Beckman have been assistant mail carriers.