The first Ypsilanti, North Dakota town hall was built in the early 1900s. It served as a community gathering place until the Memorial Hall was constructed in 1953. The old hall was used for church services, township and other elections, dances, community parties, lodge meetings, plays, basketball, traveling shows, and other community events and activities. The old building was sold to Ed Whitney, who used it as a granary for several years.
The War Memorial Building, located on the original town hall site, was built with money obtained from a World War II Memorial Fund appropriated by the Stutsman County Commissioners. It was dedicated on October 2, 1953. The building is maintained by the boards of Ypsilanti and Corwin townships, and is used for several community activities.