The Friendly Squares, a square dance club, was organized in Ypsilanti, North Dakota in 1952, with twelve couples. Meetings were held in the basement of The Globe. In a short time, other couples became interested and the meetings were moved to the Old Town Hall, at which time the club membership had risen to about fifty members.
Most of the dancing was done with the aid of calls on a record player. In 1956, the club hosted a Square Dance Festival in the Memorial Hall.