The dam at Ypsilanti Park was built in 1931 or 1932. It was a WPA project. Stan Nicholls, Bob Kotts, and Glaspell were the instigators behind the establishment of the park.
Ed Whitney contributed the land where the park is situated, and the original park equipment was donated by Ypsilanti businesses and clubs, and James Crouch built the first two fireplaces at the park.
Ypsilanti Park has been taken care of by a park board. George Mellum and Mike Heffernan were two of the early members of this board.
Donations for mowing have come from Ypsilanti, Montpelier, Manns, Greenland, Winfield, Homer, and Corwin townships in the early years. Later, in the 1950s, only Corwin and Ypsilanti townships have continued to support the maintenance of the park.
Before Ypsilanti Park was established, the people in the community enjoyed picnics and outdoor activities in this grove on the James River. The area was also used for camping. In the early 1900s, this was a popular gathering place.
Millrace is a body of water about a half mile west of Ypsilanti. Although it is on private property, it was a popular swimming hole in the early days.