Edward and Louise Kurtz came to the United States from Germany, settling first near Lucca, North Dakota. From there, they moved to a farm near Spiritwood.
From Spiritwood, they moved to a farm in Winfield Township, along the James River, about six miles north of Ypsilanti, in Stutsman County. This was near a stockyard and railroad loading station from which cattle, grain and milk were shipped.
Then they lived on the Clarence Thompson farm until the fall of 1939, when they moved to the Carl Mueller farm, where they lived until 1946 when their son, Martin, bought the John Towle farm.
Edward and Louise Kurtz were the parents of eight children. Hattie was Edward's daughter by his first marriage. The other children were Elsie, Martin, Elizabeth, Erna, Alma, Elmer, and Evelyn.