Hans and Christina Callsen moved to the Ypsilanti community from Juntley, Illinois, settling on a farm two and a half miles west of Ypsilanti, Stutsman County, North Dakota.
Hans served on the Ypsilanti Equity Elevator board of directors for several years.
They lived on the farm until 1930, when they bought the first R.B. Kotts home. Mr. and Mrs. Callsen lived in that home until the death of Mrs. Callsen in 1938. Mr. Callsen passed away in 1941.
Hans and Christina had four children: Chris, John, Albert, and Bess.