Harvey C. Kipp was born in 1906 in Alvord, Iowa. He attended school in Venice and Los Angeles, California. In 1918, he moved with his parents and family to a farm near Ypsilanti, North Dakota. He continued his education at Ypsilanti School No. 2, better known as the Madden School.
Harvey did farm work, was employed by the Northern Pacific Railroad, and as rural substitute mail carrier for Bob Kotts from 1931 to 1964. He played violin and banjo for a local dance orchestra.
In 1927, he bought the Recreation Parlor, where he had also worked. The building burned in 1930. Harvey rebuilt it and renamed it as The Globe.
Florence Gibson was born at Waubay, South Dakota, and came to Ypsilanti with her parents in 1907. She attended the Ypsilanti Town School, St. John's Academy, and the Murphy Business School, both in Jamestown. She was then employed as secretary-bookkeeper for a grain firm in Duluth, Minnesota.
Harvey Kipp and Florence Gibson were married on July 8, 1928 at Jamestown, and celebrated their 50th Anniversary in 1978 at the Ypsilanti Lutheran Church.
Harvey served in the U.S. Air Force as an automotive mechanic during World War II. He was stationed in England.
He was a member of the Ypsilanti School Board for ten years, Ypsilanti Hall manager from 1953 to 1973, Ypsilanti Lutheran Church financial secretary for seventeen years, and a charter member of the Ypsilanti Booster Club.
Harvey and Florence retired in 1970, selling their business to Marvin Brudvik, and moved into a mobile home west of the church.
Harvey died in November of 1979. They had three children: Betty, Boyden, and Dallas.
Betty was married to Harold Cumber in 1949, and they farmed at Montpelier, North Dakota. Better was employed by the Ypsilanti Farmers State Bank in 1971.
Boyden was employed at the Ypsilanti Equity Elevator before moving to California in 1957. He married Carolyn Yeargan in 1977.
Dallas served in the U.S. Air Force from 1959 to 1963, then graduated from Kinman Business College, the University of Spokane. He married Sharon Berthiaume in 1972, and moved to Sacramento, California.