William Hyslop married Mae Kennedy. The Hyslop family came to Ypsilanti in 1921 from Minnewaukon, North Dakota. They purchased the general store from Martin Ruud, which was the old Spaulding Store. Mrs. Kennedy lived with her daughter and son-in-law.
In May of 1930, the store was completely destroyed by fire, after which the Hyslops left the community and moved to Wisconsin.
Their children were Lois, Gloria and Robert.