George A. Berge was born on January 17, 1884 at Kensett, Iowa, the son of Albert and Bertha Berge. He attended school there.
George and his two brothers, James and John, four sisters, Mary Jane, Clara Amanda, Alma Geneva, and May Eva, came with their mother to North Dakota in 1904, settling in the Ypsilanti community southeast of the Ypsilanti townsite.
They lived in a sod house for years, with a dirt floor and a few windows, only one or two for light. Later, George and James bought land for themselves, near the original site, and established homes. John Berge returned to Iowa to live, while Jane and her husband, Nels Mellum, bought land two miles from the Berge farm, where they established their home.
Gertrude (Gertie) Ellingson was born on December 2, 1886 at Kensett, Iowa, the daughter of Elling and Matilda Ellingson, receiving her education there. She moved to Lisbon, North Dakota in 1905, where she taught music until she was married.
George and Gertrude were married on November 21, 1909 at Ypsilanti. They farmed southeast of Ypsilanti until 1945, when they retired and moved to Jamestown. Gertie was a member of Ypsilanti Ladies Aid and Circle, and both were members of the Ypsilanti Lutheran Church. George served several years as director of the school board, and as director of the Ypsilanti Equity Elevator.
George played the violin, although he was handicapped, having lost his right hand in a grain binder runaway accident at the age of nineteen.
Mrs. Berge died on May 13, 1956, and George Berge followed on March 29, 1967. Mr. and Mrs. Berge are buried in Ypsilanti Cemetery.
George and Gertie Berge were the parents of six children.