Martin Lund

Born in 1904, Martin Lund was the son of Ole and Minnie Lund, who established a homestead five and a half miles southeast of Ypsilanti, in Stutsman County, North Dakota. Martin grew up on his parent's farm, receiving his education in a rural school southeast of Ypsilanti, and later attending Barber College in Minneapolis.

Avis Gift was the daughter of Robert and Ora Gift, who moved to Ypsilanti in 1925.

Martin Lund and Avis Gift were married in 1929, after which they lived on a farm that he had restored for one year, before moving to the Holland farm, where two of their children were born, Ora Jeannine and Marvis Alienda.

Life in the Ypsilanti community at that time was a struggle, because the dry years followed and prices were very low. They had cows and chickens, and they farmed three quarters of land, so they survived.

In 1937, they moved to Windsor, where Martin took over running his brother-in-law's garage. Later, they moved to the James Berge farm. Since they hadn't sold their cows, they started farming again, living there for seven years. Another child, Ronnie, was born on this farm.

Martin and Avis then bought a section of land north of Ypsilanti in 1945, which was known as the Fred Peterson farm. They farmed there until 1962, when their son and his family moved onto the farm. At this time, they bought a house in Ypsilanti, where they resided until their deaths. Martin passed away in 1976, Avis in 1979.

Martin and Avis were the parents of three children. Ora Jeannine and her husband, Gene Nichols, were living in Ypsilanti in 1982, when the Ypsilanti Community Centennial Book was published. They had three children. Marvis Alieda married Richard Truax, and was residing in Jamestown, with their three children. Ronnie married Billiette Ross. Ronnie and Billiette Lund came back to Ypsilanti in the spring of 1971, building a split-level home in town. Employed in Jamestown, they had two children, Troy and Ronette.