In 1903, Peter Gomsrud became interested in selling land in the Dakotas. He was a land agent with the Well-Dickey Land Company, and was instrumental in bringing several new families to the Ypsilanti area.
In 1904, he bought a ½ section of land east of town from the company and, on April 5, 1905, the family arrived to make their home there. While buildings were being constructed on the farm, they lived with the Nels Mellum family, who were living in the rooms over the Spaulding Store at the time.
Mr. and Mrs. Peter Gomsrud had four children: Palma, Theodore, Ruth, and Elizabeth.