William Erickson was born on December 30, 1886, near Kathryn, North Dakota. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Hans J. Erickson. When he was seven years old, the family moved to Greenland Township, northwest of Marion, North Dakota.
In the middle of a cold November in 1893, they loaded a wagon with their household goods and, with mother, father, and four smaller children riding the wagon, including sisters Hilda, Annie, and Gina, while the two older brothers, Martin and Ed, walked and chased cows alongside.
Hans Erickson moved the house from south of Kathryn, along the Sheyenne River, twenty-four miles during December, and mowed slough grass on top of the ice for cattle to feed on that winter.
William attended school in Greenland Township, Barnes County, and then homesteaded in Ludlow, South Dakota for three years, before returning to Marion.
Oline was born on August 27, 1897 at Valdres, Hedemarker, Norway. She was the daughter of Ole and Severina Olson. She and her mother came to America in June of 1907. Her father was deceased. They came to Marion because Oline had a cousin, Mrs. Lillehoff, there. She attended school at Greenland School.
William Erickson and Oline M. Olson were married on November 6, 1914, in Valley City, North Dakota. They had nine children: Henry, Oscar, Wilma, Evelyn, Lillian, Floyd, Arline, Carl, and Leone.
William and Oline Erickson farmed in Greenland Township until 1920, then moved to Adrian, and then, in 1927, they moved to Homer Township.
They were members of the Ypsilanti Lutheran Church. William passed away on May 26, 1976 at the Jamestown Hospital. At the time that the Ypsilanti Community Centennial Book was published in 1982, Oline still resided at the Central Dakota Nursing Home.