When telephones first became available in Ypsilanti, North Dakota, they were owned by groups or cooperatives of local people, and the only long-distance telephone service was located in the grocery store. When calls were received, the person being called would be notifed by messenger. The Northern Pacific Railroad provided Western Union messages.
On December 18, 1958, the Dakota Central Rural Telephone Company began providing services to the community, providing individual telephone services. The Dial House for southeastern Stutsman County was also located in Ypsilanti, North Dakota.